IF YOUR GOD IS SO LOVING NOBODY GETS HURT, NO MATTER WHAT THEY'VE DONE.....................SHE'S NOT HERE.


ROOLZ O' DA BLOG--Ya break 'em, ya git shot.
1. No cowards. State your first and last name. "Anonymous" aint your name.
2. No wimps.
3. No cussin'.
4. State no argument without reference to a biblical passage or passages and show a strong logical connection between your statement and the passages you cite.
5. Insults, sarcasm, name-calling, irony, derision, and humor at the expense of others aren't allowed unless they are biblical or logical, in which case they are WILDLY ENCOURAGED.
6. No aphronism.
7. Fear God, not man.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tim Challies Puffs An Altered Bible Version

This is a sad thing, but I have made it a principle not to shrink from confronting false teaching in the church. And believe me I've paid a price for it and will continue to do so in the future.

This weekend, I came across an article that touted a recorded reading of the TNIV. It was by a fellow whom I have read from time to time and recommended, Tim Challies. In fact, his site is currently linked from another site of mine, called Zits Emerge. For those of you who don't know, the TNIV is another of the many mistranslations of the Bible that purposely seek to remove much or all mention of the masculine. This is an accommodation to the feminist and homosexual agendas. It is by Zondervan and you can read something about their gender agenda manifest in another Zondervan publication by reading here and scrolling down to the "Expose`" articles. Scripture is never to be changed and all Christians know that simply by reading what the Scripture says about itself.

Nevertheless, many think it's okay.

In response to comments by me and a couple other folks on his blog asking for an explanation he wrote about how mean we were to him.

This is what I wrote to him and his readers in response this evening:

To all,
I'm the guy Tim's mad at. The issue came up over the weekend when I read Tim's puff piece pushing a recorded reading of the TNIV. For those of you who don't know, the TNIV is a version that was changed intentionally from what the Bible actually said in order to remove the masculine.

Tim's piece was far from a "less-then-complete condemnation of the TNIV." It was an article that actively pushed the recording for use. Read it under "Church Merch--The Bible Experience." You will see, there was no condemnation.

Tim only derided those of us who asked why we should buy and use something so sinful.

For instance, I asked why it's okay to purposely alter the Scripture when the Scripture itself prohibits it? No one answered that question and no one even tried.

So, I ask again. 1. Why is it okay to purposely change what God has said, when He calls such activity lying? 2. Why is it okay to support people, like Zondervan, who engage in such dishonesty, when God expressly forbids us to bring falsehoods into the body of Christ? 3. Why is it so hard to simply use another translation that attempts to be orthodox? And 4. Do we really think God will wink at so brazen a sin? The prophets of old were killed for it and the NT requires excommunication.

I have not gotten an answer yet, except to say that I am really mean to ask. To be fair and balanced he has criticized the TNIV and that is good. It just does not fulfill the very simple thing that God asks us--don't change His Word.

Still waiting,
Phil Perkins. PS--This will be posted on one of my websites as well because this should be dealt with. Sorry.


For clarity, you can read Tim's puff piece here.

In Christ,
Phil Perkins.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummmm....who are you? And when did you become an expert on Bible translations and do you have any facts or proof that Zondervan is bowing to some feminist or homosexual agenda? People like you who spread ugly RUMORS are a disgrace to the Kingdom of God. Proof please...PLEASE. You should be ashamed of yourself and your immature, silly blog. You won't post these comments because you won't be able to offer any proof. But at least you will read my words.

Phil Perkins said...

Dear Anonymous,
I appreciate one thing about you already--you're direct and you're willing to defend what you think's right. And you will not let an accusation stand without proof. That's a godly trait.

Do you respect R. C. Sproul, James Dobson, and John Piper? They share the same concerns I have expressed. To read all about what they have to say, you may wish to start here: http://www.cbmw.org/resources/nivi/guidelines.php .

The Colorado Springs Guidelines (a set of guidelines and statements) agreed to by a number of Evangelical leaders and scholars, including R. C. Sproul, James Dobson, and John Piper says this about the dishonesty Zondervan engaged in when they began lying as they have: "We agree that it was also regrettable that the New International Reader's Version (NIrV), released also as The Kid's Devotional Bible, was released with a Preface which did not explicitly notify parents that gender-related changes were made in this version. We commend Zondervan for offering to refund the purchase price of any NIrV's to anyone who makes a request. We agree that families that wish to be reimbursed for the cost of The Kid's Devotional Bible (NIrV) should also be granted a refund."

SOOOO.....

Who am I and what is my expertise in the languages? For the last five or so years I have taught Greek and Hebrew at the college level, while I run my welding shop on the side. All my Scripture memory has been in the original languages for years.

Is there proof that Zondervan is involved in an ungodly agenda?

I'll answer that two ways. First, if they are not and have only done all this by sheer coincidence, the fact remains they have purposely altered the TNIV to rid it of masculine references in many many cases. This makes them guilty of the sin of lying. Read Proverbs 30:5-6. "Every Word of God is tested, He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words, lest He reprove you and you are proved a liar." For other scriptural references to the sinfulness of altering God's word, simply retrace my writings that brought you here. Deut. 4:2, Revelation 21, and others.

For your own satisfaction, simply pick up a used TNIV or borrow one and compare it to the NASB, NKJV, ESV, KJV, or other literal translation. Don't use another gender altered Bible like the Message, the New Century Bible, or the NRSV, as they suffer the same disease. Or you can Google TNIV and read all sorts of reviews.

Second, as to whether or not Zondervan is involved in an agenda to push feminism or the homosexual agenda, that is a judgment call on my part, but I'm confident it's a charge that would stick in a civil court. The evidence is mountainous and includes other Zondervan publications, as well.

To read some documentation that strongly indicates Zondervan is pushing the feminist agenda, return to the main page and go to the January 16, 2007 article, entitled AN EXPOSE` OF THE ZONDERVAN HANDBOOK TO THE BIBLE, Part IV of VII. In that article you will find shocking things, complete with quotes right out of Zondervan's Handbook. Then, if you wish to read more, simply follow the "Zondervan's Follies" topic label and find the first three installments.

One shocking thing you will find in my article is a quote from Zondervan saying that gender is not biologically determined. That is the reasoning that constantly used by many to justify bisexuality, homosexuality, and transgender.

You will see I have documented all I have said.

To be fair and balanced, other "formerly-devoted-to-holiness" publishers are doing the same thing. (Quoting Bondservant there.)

I hope this quick and partial answer helps.

One note is in order on manners. It is certainly okay to disagree. We all must take reproof. Even perjoratives are acceptable, because they are used often in Scripture. However, as the example of Scripture sets, I ask you now to make sure your perjoratives be ones grounded in facts, not just emotional bursts.
I will never censor you for disagreement, only if it is off subject or if your manners are not good. If I'm silly explain how I'm silly logically or biblically. Don't just ejaculate it. Explain it so that we can know you acutally mean something other than you don't like me.

In Christ,
Phil Perkins

Eddie said...

Phil,
I don't know if you read the news article about Zondervan printing a new "gay" NIV version. I'll send ya the link if you like. It's sickening though.
Eddie

Phil Perkins said...

Eddie,
Kidding, right? YES!! If you're not kidding.

In Christ,
Phil Perkins.

Phil Perkins said...

Eddie,
After a few minutes googling, I think you have read some satire. Evidently, the story started at Lark News, which deals in satire.

You know what's sad? It worked. It is imaginable.

In Christ,
Phil Perkins.

Eddie said...

Thanks for clearing that up. No I didn't know they did that sort of thing. I guess I need to be more careful. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I also wanted to let ya know that blog you wrote in November on Phil 3...I actually "found" that verse and it has become a life sustaining verse for me.
Eddie

P.S. I quite enjoy reading your posts on here and Pulpit Magazine. Thanks for stepping out the way you do

Phil Perkins said...

Eddie,
Don't apologize! Your vigilance is to be applauded. Few care enough to pay attention to that sort of thing. They're the ones that should apologize.

I'll bet if it was profitable Zondervan would do just that. The Evangelical Church needs another year or two or five before a gay Bible is acceptable. Give it time, though. It'll happen. And someone will recommend it for your kids, too.

Thanks for the encouragement. Pray for reformation.

On the Phil. 3 verses, I am so happy I have paid the price. God is with me. He is present in my life. Pray for my purity. The price always hurts, but later I know I did right. And there is such freedom in not caring what the world thinks of me. (By "world" I include a whole lot of the Church.)

God bless you, Eddie.

Phil.

Anonymous said...

Phil,
After listening to a few minutes of "The Bible Experience" on a daily program, I thought this would be a nice Christmas gift. I was not aware of the version of the Bible that was used to produce the dramatization. It didn't take me long to realize I had made a mistake.I thought I was being overly critical of this production, when I was offended by the use of a woman's voice for the angel which proclaims Christ's birth. I expected to hear the voice of Michael, Gabriel or one of the angels who visited Lot.In my view all with masculine characteristics. I haven't been able to listen to another word of this project. With the portrayal of men in the media as bumbling idiots, I felt this was another attempt to replace the masculine influence in our society. I wrote to the broadcast that recommended "The Bible Experience" about my concerns and received no answer. I now have three sets that I don't know what to do with.I couldn't in good conscience give them as gifts and I have contemplated selling them but feel guilty about circulating this stuff. I am pleased to find my concerns have merit.I have been enlightened by reading your comments. I will now try to be more discerning in the future.Do you have any ideas as to what could be done with the three copies of "The Bible Experience" I have?

Phil Perkins said...

Anonymous,
What broadcast was that. I'll expose them here.

What should you do with the program? That's up to you. I'd go back to where I bought it and demand my money back, because it is not as advertized. You thought you were buying an audio Bible. Instead, you got one that was edited for a particular doctrinal slant.

Try that and tell me how it comes out.

As to Challies, I don't know what to think. He seems orthodox in all ways that I have observed, but he let down the troops on this one. When I asked him to deal with the Scripture passages that forbid the changing of Scripture, he refused and censored me from commentint on his blog.

I have even contacted Phil Johnson about my concerns about Tim. I took Challies off my blogroll because of this steadfast refusal to obey clear Scripture or even explain why it is okay to disobey the obvious teaching contained therein. I think Phil might consider the same. I have not heard back.

Sadly, we live in an age of nonchalance about the things of God, even among those that claim orthodoxy. It really makes me sad.

Our doctinal statements are orthox, but our hearts aren't. Relate that to John 10 where we are told that His sheep are the ones that listen to His voice.

In Christ,
Phil Perkins.

Phil Perkins said...

Whatever happened to the zeal for God's word?

Anonymous said...

Dear Phil,
The broadcast was Haven Today.The host is Charles Morris.The website is haventoday.org.I contacted Mr. Morris by e-mail and received no reply.He recently advertised "The Bible Experience"on another broadcast.He has the audio CDs listed on his site for purchase.Thanks for the advice. Zondervan is on my list of companies to avoid.

Phil Perkins said...

Anonymous,
Thanks.

Phil.